The 21st century has brought with it a horde of medical inventions. Along with itself, it has brought the escalated costs of medical tests, diagnosis and cure with it. In today’s times, medical bills are a huge aspect. Even if it a mere allergy tests, the cost of it is pretty high.
— Advertisement —
In this case at times, having insurance may not prove well enough. Thus, one needs to be quite careful in carrying out these tests.
What are the types of tests?
There are a variety of tests available and the costs are as per the quality of the allergy test.
- A skin test is the most common. Using a needle, one can carry out the test. A minimal amount of allergen is pricked onto the skin.
- The second one is blood test, where the allergen is injected into the skin.
In both these cases the allergy test cost is pretty low. However the blood test can actually cost pretty high if there are a series of further tests that are followed post this initial test.
The costlier tests:
Generally the blood tests are costlier than the skin prick method. The blood allergy test can actually cost something around $200 to $1000.
- The RAST test is one that actually costs quite an amount. This is a kind of blood test in which doctors look for certain antibodies in the body. This is a time consuming mode and can cost up to thousands of dollars. The medical cost depends on the insurance cover that every person has. Some clinics charge around $10 to $20 per allergen that is tested.
- In case of a general blood test, the cost is around $1000 $1500 as per the person.
- The cost of skin prick test is minimum, around $3 to $5.
- There is another form known as the Immuno Cap theory testing, which costs around $10-$15.
Thus, one can see that these ranges of tests are some of the tests that range from cheap to high price. In various countries, the prices differ.
Expenses for the test:
The allergy test cost varies for people, with and without health insurance.
For people without health insurance, the cost rallies around:
- Consultation with an allergist costs around $150 to $300.
- Skin prick test costs around $60 to $300, with per allergen cost around $3 to $5. Thus, in this way, the total cost is comparatively less for skin prick mode.
- The RAST test is around $200 to $1000, since per allergen test is $20 to $30.
For a person who has insurance cover, the costs are quite low
- In case of an appointment for a specialist, the cost paid is $35.
- In case of consultation with family doctor, the cost incurred is $20 only.
Thus, one can very well see the difference in ranges.
For dogs also, there is special category of allergy test done, since among all the animals they are most prone to having allergies.
- The blood test range is around $200 to $300.
- The intradermal skin testing is around $200 to $250.
Hence, one needs to be quite careful regarding one’s health. With the allergy test cost rising with times, it is better to be on the safe side than sorry.
— Advertisement —