Polyester is a material which is used everywhere these days. Polyester is an artificial fabric that has been known to cause allergies in people. There are several other fabrics too that have been known to cause allergies in people. This allergic reaction caused by polyester or any other material happens just by contact of the skin to the allergen and therefore is also known as contact dermatitis.
— Advertisement —
Polyester allergy is quite common and many people who have reported to be allergic to polyester fabric are also allergic to other fabrics. The other materials that can cause allergy are:
- Fabric softeners
- Fabric fragrances
These materials are used during washing of clothes and may be the cause of the allergy.
Before determining the cause by yourself, you must contact and consult your physician or allergist who will run several tests to find out the exact cause of your dermatitis or eczema.
The symptoms of polyester allergy
The polyester rash generally occurs as dermatitis. The symptoms that may be noted due to the contact to polymer fibers are many and are as follows:
- Contact dermatitis
- Rashes on the body parts in contact with polyester fiber
- Redness on the lower body area
- Hives on the torso and hands
- Hands may become bright red in color and warm to touch
- Itching in the affected body part
- Pain on touching and hot red area
Sometimes the symptoms may not remain the same and may even worsen to increase the discomfort and may become life-threatening. The severe symptoms include
- Breathing: heavy and short breathing is one of the symptoms and suggests that the person be taken to the emergency room as soon as possible.
- A worse form of eczema may develop which subsides after long and tedious efforts
- Chest may feel tight due to muscles becoming overactive and there may even be noticeable pain in the chest again requiring emergency room visit
- Swelling is also a common symptom of an allergic reaction
The allergy of any kind is treated by using antihistamines and corticosteroids. Antihistamines reduce the formation of the histamines- a substance that is responsible to tell the body of imminent dangers. This medication is used for treating allergies and has been in use since a long time by doctors too. The other medication that is used to treat allergies is corticosteroids. Corticosteroids are the chemical substances that are released by the adrenal glands and help the body know where to stop while fighting the infection or any other foreign body trying to enter the body. Corticosteroid is known to cause suppression of the adrenal gland and therefore be used with caution and on advice of the physician.
The best treatment of polyester allergy is to avoid contact with this fiber as much as possible as contact with the skin surface causes the chain of allergic reactions.
— Advertisement —