Pineapple is loved by many people around the globe. It gives you a tropical feel as soon as you eat a slice. A little itching on tongue and throat is a small price to pay for the amazing taste. However, if the itching is intense and is accompanied by swollen lips and discomfort in stomach, it could an allergic reaction. Then you should stop eating pineapple and consult a doctor as soon as possible.

————– Advertisements ————–

Fruit allergies have become quite common in the last couple decades. Pineapple allergy however is extremely rare. But this does not mean that you can ignore any abnormal symptoms related to eating pineapple. You should take it very seriously as the allergy can be life threatening if not managed in time. To be able to identify it and then take necessary steps, you need to have the info given below.

pineapple allergy
Pineapple allergy Symptoms

A list containing all the commonly seen symptoms is given below. The patient can have one or all of these symptoms. The time they last and intensity also varies in different patients. It depends on a number of factors.

  • Itching, swelling or burning sensation on skin
  • Contact dermatitis
  • Cramps in stomach and/or lower abdomen
  • Nausea
  • Constipation
  • Swelling of lips, tongue and other parts of the mouth
  • Diarrhea and vomiting
  • Difficulty in breathing
  • Anaphylaxis
  • Sudden drop in blood pressure
  • Wheezing

It is not necessary that symptoms of pineapple allergy appear only by eating the fruit or drinking its juice. Touching, smelling or just being in vicinity is sometimes enough to trigger an allergic reaction.

Causes: The most common cause of this allergy is your own immune system. Immune system identifies the proteins present in pineapple as dangerous or even toxic. Diarrhea and vomiting are just our body’s way of getting the toxins out. Other symptoms are also because of the same reason. But the immune system is not the only cause. Other causes are listed below.

  • Allergy can be a genetic issue. It can be transferred from parents to kids. However, the whole family will not have the allergy. But if one of your close relatives is intolerant or allergic to pineapple, the chances are more for you to be allergic to pineapple.
  • Pineapple contains latex, which is a more common cause of allergy. Thus, it is quite probable that you are allergic to latex. This means that you will be allergic to all the fruits that contain this substance, most of which are found in tropical regions.
  • The allergy can also be caused by airborne pollen proteins, which are present in pineapple.

Precautions: The obvious precaution of pineapple allergy is to stop eating the fruit. You should also avoid touching it or even being too close to it. Besides that, you should make sure that the dish you are ordering in a restaurant does not contain pineapple. Reading the ingredients of packed foods is also a good idea.

Please follow and like us: