Silicone was considered one of the most inert materials in the world. But now it has been shown that a few individual may even be allergic to this inert substance. Silicone is used in many types of substances, for example, in medical practice, silicone implants have found their place in breast enhancement surgeries, buttock and other enhancement surgeries.
— Advertisement —
During the enhancement surgeries, surgeons place a bag of silicone under your skin to get the desired shape. Sometimes, the domestic utensils and household things may have silicone to make the container air tight. These silicone materials are not as pure as the medical quality silicone and therefore produces more allergic reactions than the silicone of medical utility.
Symptoms of silicone allergy
The symptoms of silicone allergy are the same as any other allergies but the cause becomes different here. Silicone allergies are not known to be fatal but there are chances that it may become so severe that it may require hospitalization.
- Dermal reactions: skin is the most affected part of the body when it comes in contact with dermatitis. Skin comes first in contact with the allergen and therefore is first exposed to the allergen.
- Problems in the eye: there are symptoms like watery eyes that tend to blur your vision while driving or while performing any job with sharp instruments causing injury to you or people around you
- Respiratory problems: the airway obstruction occurs in many people due to silicone allergy and may become life threatening if not treated promptly. The airway obstruction is caused due to swelling in the mucosa of the windpipe making it difficult for the air to pass through the airway making breathing difficult and situation may become critical if proper care is not started.
- Anaphylactic shock: anaphylactic shock is extremely rare in silicone allergy but has to be considered. Injecting liquid silicone in the body to treat any kind of cosmetic problems may cause severe anaphylactic reactions. This may range from just small amount of angioneurotic edema to severe anaphylaxis.
- Nervousness and feeling of being constricted.
- The use of silicone in emergency medical kit like that of continuous positive airway pressure to restore breathing in a person may make the person feel claustrophobic due to the silicone mask.
Treatment of silicone allergy
Treatment of silicone allergy should be done as soon as possible. Otherwise, the allergic reactions have been known to kill people especially if it is of anaphylactic variety. The treatment includes
Airway maintenance: first of all, make sure the airway is patent and if reaction is severe, then cricothyrotomy should be performed to ensure patency by making a slit in your throat. This should be done by a surgeon as a single wrong move could take away patients’ life.
Medication: medicines like corticosteroids and antihistamines should be started without delay. This move makes the swelling and other symptoms to come down quickly
Hydration: Hydration serves two purposes – the first one is that it supplements the lost moisture in the body due to so much activity in the body and secondly, it maintains lubrication of airways.
— Advertisement —