Kiwi is a fruit that very recently got worldwide recognition. It was first introduced in China and is native to that country. In some parts of the world, it is also known as Chinese gooseberry. Nowadays, it has become a common ingredient of fruit salads. Besides having a unique taste, it also is very healthy. However, this fruit is very dangerous for some people.

Due to the presence of latex, kiwi can be a serious allergen. As it is getting popular around the world, more cases of kiwi allergy are getting noticed. Several facilities are conducting intense research in order to understand this condition better. From the studies done until now, the following symptoms are associated with this problem.

————– Advertisements ————–

Kiwi Allergy Symptoms

Problems in mouth: Kiwi can lead to a medical issue called oral allergy syndrome. In this, mouth, lips, and tongue of the person get very badly affected. The common effects are itching, irritation, burning sensation and tingling. The severe effects can lead to swelling of lips, mouth, tongue and throat. This can be more dangerous than you can imagine.

Skin irritations: It is very common for allergies to have some kind of effect on skin. Redness and rashes are the most common signs of an allergic reaction. A kiwi allergy too can cause rashes, itching, hives and irritation of skin. In rare cases, it can even cause swelling in parts that came in contact with kiwi. One or more of these things can occur to a person allergic to kiwi.

Kiwi Allergy Cross Reactivity
Breathing problems: An allergic reaction triggered by kiwi can cause several problems in the respiratory system. The most common signs include shortness of breath and a whistling sound while breathing. Wheezing and nasal congestion might also be seen in some cases. This can be life-threatening if not given proper medical attention in time.

Painful stomach: Abdominal region is very commonly affected in kiwi allergy. Pain and nausea are the common symptoms that do not pose much danger. Severe symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea, which is considered by many experts as a way of the patient’s body to flush out the allergens. It will eventually be helpful for you, but causes too much discomfort in the meantime.

Anaphylactic shock: This is the most severe and life-threatening symptom associated with almost all types of allergies. It generally starts with irregular heart rate, sudden drop in blood pressure, shock, dizziness, etc. If you suffer from any of these signs after eating or coming in contact with kiwi, you should seek medical attention immediately. Taking it lightly can be too dangerous.

Lightheadedness: This allergy can have varying effects on the nervous system. For some, it is dizziness, while for others, it can be loss of consciousness. If accompanied by anaphylaxis, it can be potentially life-threatening. Thus, it should not be treated lightly.

The symptoms of an allergic reaction to kiwi are not limited to the above mentioned list. Consult a doctor if you face any discomfort after coming in contact with the fruit.

————– Advertisements ————–

Please follow and like us: